BreastScreen NSW is continuing its efforts to offer free breast screening to women aged from 50 to 74, setting up its mobile van at Terrace Central Shopping Centre from 7th May to 7th July 2018.
A mammogram appointment with BreastScreen NSW only takes 20 minutes and is vital, given 1 in 8 women in NSW will develop breast cancer in their lifetime - and it's free!
Call 13 20 50 to book your free screening mammogram.
Before Your Mammogram
There are a few simple things you’ll need to do before your screening mammogram appointment, including:
- Fill out the relevant forms (if required)
- Make sure you have your previous breast x-rays, if your last breast screen wasn’t with BreastScreen NSW
- If you have any concerns about breast screening call 13 20 50 to talk to a BreastScreen team member or speak to your doctor beforehand.
On the Day
Your screening mammogram appointment will only take about 20 minutes. Here’s what you can expect when you attend your breast screen:
- A female staff member will collect your forms and talk you through what will happen in your screening mammogram.
- Your female radiographer will take you into the x-ray room, where you can remove your top in private.
- The radiographer will help you get into a comfortable position. Then, when you’re ready, the x-ray machine will press firmly on each breast to take at least two x-ray pictures.
Some women find this pressing uncomfortable, but any discomfort usually only lasts for a few seconds. If you feel uncomfortable, tell your radiographer, who can stop the procedure at any time.
For more information head to - www.breastscreen.nsw.gov.au